Virtual Image Processing for the NSi AutoStore
An image-optimizing component for the powerful Notable Solutions, Inc. (NSi) document capture system marked the start of a partnership between ATAPY and NSi
NSi’s AutoStore application is a leading product for document and content capture, processing and distribution. Adopted by many top manufacturers of on-ramp devices such as MFPs and digital copiers, AutoStore’s framework is becoming the standard for server based document capture devices by HP, RICOH, Kyocera, Xerox, Canon and other internationally renowned companies.
As NSi’s software development partner, ATAPY was involved in the implementation of an NSi AutoStore image treatment tool called Virtual Image Processing (VIP). VIP is an integrated process component between the capture and route sources in capture workflow. Such workflows are created visually in the AutoStore Process Designer (an administrative tool) with a simple drag-and-drop technique. VIP optimizes document image quality for subsequent recognition via several configurable filters and their combinations. The number of filters is growing with every new version of the AutoStore application.
All original image modifications are reflected ‘on the fly’ in the preview window of the component configuration interface. Once the desired image quality is achieved, the filter combination profile can be saved and used in other AutoStore workflows containing VIP. This eliminates the need to configure filters every time a new capture-process-route sequence is designed. This is extremely valuable for companies with large workflows of template based documents.
VIP implements a large number of different image filters. The following are the most basic:
- Color Extraction Filter — keeps the selected color while all other colors are dropped. Users can also select a color to replace the dropped ones in the resulting image;
- Deskew Filter — corrects the skewed angle of the image;
- Despeckle Filter — eliminates small speckles on the image;
- Color Dropping Filter — drops the selected color and replaces it with a substitute color;
- Thresholding Filter — converts an image to black-and-white. All pixels with a brightness level less than the specified level become white, while others become black;
- Adaptive Thresholding Filter — allows improved recognition results for source images with irregular backgrounds using a sophisticated binarization algorithm.
Notable Solutions, Inc. was founded in 1995 to provide complete technology solutions in the fields of Software Development, Systems Engineering, Technology Training and Business Consulting. Since that time, NSi has evolved toward software and hardware design and development, network integration, and support for document management systems. NSi prides itself on its commitment to quality and reputation for excellence. It is now a leading provider of content capture software for Canon, HP, Kodak, Kyocera, Ricoh, Sharp, Xerox and others.
More information about ATAPY Custom Document Imaging Solutions: